Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Another New Chapter!!!

WOWZERS ~ It's been a long time since I have posted last.  I feel like I have gotten whipped away to a different world these past few months, oh wait, I have been.  Oh where do I begin ...  This past December, Don found out that the company that he was working for decided that they were going to be closing their doors.  They informed him that they were going to try to remain open until the end of March, with lay offs as certain jobs were no longer needed.  A week after getting the news of the company closing, my father-in-law passed away.  With Christmas just a few days away and New Year's following right behind, we were rushed to do a service to honor his wonderful life that fit into the families schedules from out of state.  I think with the restrictions we had we gave him a service that would have exceeded his expectations. 

Two weeks after we laid him to rest, I ended up in the E.R. with seizures and a brain aneurysm.  Of course at the time of this happening, it had to be some of the worst weather of the season.  With the windchill, we were having -50 below temps and a snow storm that reminds you of what life would be like living in the Arctic.  The ambulance had taken me to Rochester, which is only about 10 miles away, but with the condition I was in (blood pressure of 215/200),  they didn't have the proper Dr's to treat me.  They decided to transport me over to Fort Wayne, which is about 2 hrs away on a good day.  They wanted to transport me by helicopter, but with the weather conditions, decided it wouldn't be safe to lift off and were forced to transport me by ambulance again.  I was in Fort Wayne for 4 days but have no recollection of being there.  I wasn't in a coma, but I was non-coherent.  I do remember talking to my Momma on the phone for a brief moment before I was out of it again, and I vaguely remember Don trying to feed me jello and whipping it off my cheek.  I remember thinking to myself while he was feeding me that "Boy, you can tell he never babysat a little kid and had to feed it!" lol  Granted jello isn't the easiest thing to keep on a spoon while trying to feed a half-coherent patient, but I do remember chuckling to myself over the situation.

About 2 weeks after I was released from the hospital, Don's position with the company had finally come to an end and he was left without a job.  We decided to take advantage of his time off and we moved to a different place.  With his father's passing and his mother being in the nursing home, we decided to move into their house instead of letting it sit empty.  I look at moving here as a new chapter in life, moving forward to bigger and better things.  Lord knows it can't be any worse than the past few months have been and that it can only go up from here.  So here are a few pics of our "new to us" home.






We have 4 city lots that sit on the edge of a small town with a population of about 500 residents.

The little brown shed on the left side of the above photo is our property line to the north.  The house sits on the corner lot.



The pic above is the alley way that runs through our property and my gardening shed, compost pile and garden space.  Our property to the east here runs all the way over to the creek, which is pictured below.



 In the above pic, our property runs to just beyond where the second snow patch ends.  The trailer on the far left is part of our property, with a renter for a little extra income.

The below pic was taken from the alley looking back towards the creek.  The big tree next to the garden shed is one of our black walnut trees, which has a family of pine (red) squirrels living in it.  The little buggers were up there throwing seed pods at me while I was taking pics. 

The photo below is the backside of the house and garage.  We have a 3 season sun room on the back of the house that I am looking forward to spending a lot of time in.  I'm picturing hours of sitting out there this summer playing cards, reading or just enjoying the sunsets in the evenings.





That's the extent of my little tour for now.  As I get the inside of the house in order and as I explore my many flower beds tucked around the property, I will be sharing more pics.

Until next time ...
Sara

10 comments:

~mel said...

Sara ~ I'm so happy that things are FINALLY on the UP Side Swing for you and Don!!! Thank you for sharing the pics of your new digs :) Love & Miss you.

Montanagirl said...

Oh my - You've had quite a time of it! I'm glad things seem to be settling down for you. The house looks charming!

Dicky Bird said...

I knew you didn't post in awhile...no wonder...so sorry for all of that - Life - You new place looks really nice! Blessings from Ringle, WI.

~mel said...

Sara ~ go on pinterest and check out garden sheds or potting sheds and all the cute little ways to decorate and set them up :)

jack69 said...

Aw sweet lady enjoyed the tour and I must say how nice to be in a small town. I like the trailer. That is a blessing to you guys and to some lucky renter.
I am so glad you are able to be you, I know Don is.

I love the house and you caught some beautiful sun, even if the squirrely guys were using artillery..

Hang in there and the best to you and Don.

Amen to Montanagirl's

TARYTERRE said...

I am glad to hear you are alright now. That had to be so traumatic for you. Your new house is lovely. I know you'll enjoy many wonderful hours there.

Paula said...

So glad you are better now. What a scary thing to have happen to you. Your new place is lovely, enjoy it.

Dar said...

SaraJeaniePunkinPie,
I LOVE your new home and such wonderful surroundings. All the mature trees too are a blessing. I think you will enjoy small town life. I'm especially happy you are feeling so very much better., but jealous of the sunroom!!! We'll have to invade your serenity someday. Wouldn't that be a shocker.
AND, Congrats on being an Auntie again. I'll hug little Blake baby for you, if that's OK.
HUGS, BIG (((HUGS))) to YOU my dear sweet girl.
Loveya, YOUR Auntie from frigid air country

Cher' Shots said...

So jealous of your 3 season room and open front porch. Nice sized lot to take care of - reminds me of ours. So very happy you are doing better and that things are finally settling down in your life and your house.
'love & hugs from afar' Your GREAT Aunt :)

Dar said...

Hope you are still feeling fit as a fiddle...your Uncle Bill is sicker than a junkyard dog...pretty sick with the flu.
Hey, what do you guys want for your pontoon and where is it stored?
Call me punkin!